Family 2013

Family 2013

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Happy Birthday, Dad-the man, the myth, the legend...

Yesterday, July 22nd, was my dad's 83rd birthday.  Not his best birthday, you understand, but still his birthday.

We had presents and went out to dinner--just he and his kids.  It wasn't the same, but it was good.  We were too stuffed for cake, so today will be birthday, the sequel!  One of the things that always happens on someone's birthday is you hear the stories.  And anyone who knows my dad, knows there are some GOOD ones...

Did ya hear the one about--
  • the time Dad sledded down the streets of DC and went between the front and rear wheels of a moving city bus?  BTW, that wasn't dad's plan, that's just what happens when 2 vehicles cross an intersection at the same time.
  • Dad wanted to know how the pipe organ at the cathedral worked, so he removed a pipe to look at it.  Unfortunately he couldn't get it to go back on right, and then that note on the organ wouldn't play.  Wonder how the organist knew he was responsible?
  • the time Dad got impatient building a fire and used kerosene as a fire starter?  Boy howdy, did it start the fire and poor Unca Frank was stuck outside as the "fire whisperer" to keep the building from burning down.
  • the time Dad advised me on my science fair project.  I wanted to build an electric map (where you flip a switch and that location lights up on the map).  I took pictures, drilled holes and the piece de resistance--soldered the connections.  The nuns disqualified me because "girls couldn't do that".  Wish I'd known that before I DID that!
  • Dad's 40th birthday cake--the neighbors at the beach started calling the house because the 40 candles reflected in all the windows on the porch made them think the house was on fire!
  • Dad spending time with each one of his grandkids.  I have the sweetest picture of Dad walking across a parking lot with Cindy...
Anyway, that's my Dad!  Always into something...and that's good!  Love you, Daddy!
Feeling blessed, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment