Family 2013

Family 2013

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Back to Nature--NOT!

As I have posted before, I am NOT a nature girl.  I used to tell my Girl Scout troop that my idea of roughing it was a hotel without room service.  I don't use the room service, but having it indicates a certain level of accomodation!

In addition, my favorite thing to make for dinner is...reservations!  As I said in one of my first posts, I do cook.  But it's not a passion of mine.

So you can imagine how I feel about gardening!  It's hot, sweaty (we live in Florida), dirty and well...I kill plants.  I don't mean to, but I definitely have a "black thumb"!  I can keep an animal alive forever, but I am death to plants.  We had a garden in the back yard for a while, but when you forget to water the plants...

The difficulty is that I LOVE fresh produce.  When I was a girl, we spent our summers in Delaware, we got our produce from a nearby farmer.  He sold his produce from his garage.  But Dad got to know him and was eventually permitted to go out into the fields and pick his own.   We learned how find great tomatoes, cukes and the corn was out of this world!

Naturally, a store bought tomato is just not the same.  Last summer we came up with a solution.   We leave our tomato plants in containers and put them on the front porch.   I have remembered to water them...so far!  And we have tomatoes on them...so far.  Some of you may remember that my fall tomatoes had to be put in the garage during a cold snap, and a citrus rat ate the only tomato the plants produced.  Any rat that eats my only tomato is a DEAD rat!   If this "crop" comes in decently, I may expand my porch garden in the fall!


Now to learn about container gardening and cucumbers...
Feeling blessed!  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment