Family 2013

Family 2013

Friday, August 5, 2011

Knowing where you came from...but not necessarily where you're going...

About a week before my mother died, I signed up for Ancestry.com.  I wanted to create a family tree of all 4 branches of the family.  In fact the day before Mother collapsed, I had called her and told her that I had finally located my mother-in-law's mother's name on a ship manifest (she went through Ellis Island in 1921).  I also asked my mom for a few details about her--where was she born anyway? The joys of a military family...

Ancestry.com makes wonderful family trees.  You can even insert pictures for each family member.  Wish I had one for everybody!  They also have the option to print the tree into a book...for a price.

Fortunately...or not, depending on which side of the bank account you're on; I'm into scrapbooking.  Not digitally, I like playing with paper.  And yes, I probably run with scissors, too!  So I have started converting what I've learned into scrapbook pages.  Two branches of the family had narratives written by family members.  So, how do you scrapbook the pictures and the narratives, without taking up oodles of pages in the scrapbook? Here's what I came up with:  I created a pocket page and glued the pictures to the front of the pocket.  The narrative, of course, goes in the pocket with any pictures that don't fit on the page.


I frequently post about working on my "scrap-heap".  Most of my friends seems to think that is just a cute term.  No, good citizens, it REALLY is a heap...although it works for me!
Feeling blessed, how about you?  If you need me, I'll be on the scrap-heap!

No comments:

Post a Comment