Family 2013

Family 2013

Monday, April 18, 2011

Mother turns 80!

Normally my mother's age would be a "state secret".  Only those privy to her birth certificate or who were present at her birth would know her true age.  My grandmother didn't tell her age, so my mother kept hers under wraps too.  I never understood that concept.  My dad's mother would walk up to you on the street and tell perfect strangers how old she was.  She was proud of her years!



But this is a big birthday and my mother wanted to PARTY!  Therefore I will be traveling to visit the "old people" this week.  While the timing isn't idea for me because it's also Easter week; my brother can get down to see her this week too.

So, as I plan to pack for the trip, I think a lot about my mom.  In a previous blog post, I mentioned that my mother is a "super packer".  She has everything she needs for every occasion. In very, VERY large and heavy suitcases.  I don't have that option.  Not only because I'm too cheap to pay to check a bag.  Mostly because I leave the airport to board the subway. Inevitably the subway is crowded and my big old suitcase really blocks the aisle.  It's also hard to wrestle on and off the escalators.  So the challenge is to pack for 5 days in a carry-on.  And my parents have planned at least one event at a nice restaurant, so I need something other than jeans. Preferably something that doesn't need ironing, since my mother doesn't use an iron.

The big thing on the list is always the meds. What possible situations could crop up that I might need meds for?  I still remember being in a hotel room for a business trip and having an allergic reaction to something.  I spent the whole night sitting up coughing.  I was in really great shape for the business meetings the next day.  There was also one of DJ's mission trips, where everyone laughed at the "med kit" I packed for him.  He was mortified until two days later, when the leaders needed something I had packed. After all, I am my mother's daughter!

Sort of...if I were as orgainized as my mother, I would pull out last years list and pack from it. If I knew where it was.  Sigh...

Feeling blessed, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment