Family 2013

Family 2013

Friday, April 29, 2011

Fashion Forward....NOT!

The royal wedding is all the talk on TV today.  What a fashion extravangaza!  Good thing I wasn't invited (not that that was ever up for discussion).

I remember my own wedding almost 32 years ago.  My dad gave me $1000 for the entire event.  To him this was a huge amount of money as I was just graduating from college, my brother was still in college and my sister was heading into her senior year in high school (more college $$).  I ended up making my own dress and veil ($85), and my sister's maid of honor dress ($20).

In fact, that was quite the story of the wedding.  My roommate was an art major, so I couldn't sew with yards of fabric in our dorm room.  I ended up going home for spring break and making BOTH dresses in one weekend.  I sewed about 18 hours a day for the whole 3 days I was home.  In one of the close-ups, you can see a spot of blood on my headpiece where I pricked my finger attaching the ribbon.


By the way, the wedding took place in the Memorial Chapel at Va. Tech on the day we graduated from college. My great-uncle was the architect for the chapel.

And as a point of reference, I do NOT recommend combining the wedding and graduation.  Don had to start his job the next day; so it was a blessing but, graduation ceremony, moving out of the dorm (times 2) and prepping for the wedding is a lot for one day.

Which brings us to the fashion forward part of the this post.  I do not worry about fashion.  I love classic styles because I don't have to shop frequently.  I will keep the same clothes for years.  And on my wedding day that was a good thing.  I had...are you ready....wait for it...almost 20 minutes to get ready for my wedding.   I was actually at the hotel room for 45 minutes, but I was sharing the bathroom with 5 people.!  I remember my dad saying to me "Do you think you're someone special because it's your wedding day?"  Ummm...DUH!

So it was good to be low maintenance.  But I look at the fascinators (good name, I was either fascinated or horrified by them) and say...I guess you spent more than 20 minutes getting ready

I'm guessing that most of the guests didn't have to say to their bosses "could I not make sandwiches the week before the wedding?  I don't want to have mustard stains under my nails".  Ah, well, 30 years later, I think I have better stories!

And I still have the same guy, 32 years later!  And when we kiss it lasts way longer...

Feeling blessed, how about you?

1 comment:

  1. Definitely blessed!I think we spent $1500 on our wedding 21 years ago.

    Enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete