Family 2013

Family 2013

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Having Fun Teaching STEM subjects

I can hardly wait for the FPEA STEM conference on August 22nd & 23rd at the Tradewinds on St. Pete Beach!  I know when we were homeschooling, science and math were two subjects that really scared me.  How do you teach a subject that is a weak link for you?

In fairness to me, I was put in the classes with the weak teachers when I was in school.  I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now.  How is a student who is weak in a subject supposed to rise above a weak teacher?  But that was then, and this is now.  No whining people!  I finally decided that I needed to buy a really good curriculum that made sense to me; and then study like my kids' lives depended on it.  Not far from the truth, really!

But we want to do more than survive homeschooling.  And while still I don't LOVE math, I did manage to get both kids into college. That may be more of a tribute to God's grace and good genes; but as long as it happened, right?



So, how did I end up speaking at a conference on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math?  As homeschoolers, we still have to "Teach What Scares Us"!  I won't tell you what I'm going to be saying...you'll just have to come join us.  BUT, it is a family conference, so bring the kids.  If you join me as we discuss "Teaching What Scares Us" we're going to have fun doing a little science and maybe (gasp) a little math and laugh a whole lot!

Oh, you hadn't heard about the conference?  It's at the Tradewinds on St. Pete Beach and we are going to have a blast learning how to share STEM subjects with our kids.  Follow this link for more information.  And be sure to stop by and say hi...I'd love to meet you!

Feeling blessed, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment