Family 2013

Family 2013

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Can You Hear Me Now?

For the last 40 years I have been losing my hearing.  Nothing catastrophic, just a little each year.  Every year a new coping strategy would creep in--husband stays by side so that I don't smile and say "that's great" to a friend's tragic story at a party.  Kids speak a little louder.  You get the idea.

I tried hearing aids.  They rubbed the side of my ears raw.  I didn't enjoy the experience.  I quit wearing them.  You might be surprised to learn that they don't work as well in the box.

After 8 years of "occasional wear", the hearing aids finally gave up the ghost.  Hubs asked me to try again, because he's afraid I'll walk out in front of a car.  He has a good point, but I say it's because the cars are quieter these days! ;-)

So...last week I went through the process again.  Still have a hearing loss...I know you're shocked!  I chose a much smaller, but still rechargeable hearing aid...in HOT PINK!  You won't be able to see them under my hair and they make me happy.  I am in the "learning to adjust" phase of  wearing the new aids.  I'm doing OK with the fit, I just don't understand how the rest of you handle all the noise in everyday life.
The audiologist that fitted the aids started with a ceiling of the volume I could handle.  The headaches were so bad that we reduced that considerably today.  I have the utmost admiration for those of you with "normal" hearing who are able to function on a daily basis.  You are amazing!  In the meantime, I'll be asking Chick Fil A to turn down the "background music"...and the children!
Feeling blessed, how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment